Organization: Restless development
Restless Development is seeking a suitably qualified consultant to complete a baseline study to understand the current situation of young people in Nepal.
Restless Development (www.restlessdevelopment.org), the youth-led development agency, has been the global leader in engaging and supporting young people to address the most urgent issues affecting their lives, communities and countries since 1985. With over 20 years of successful work in Nepal, we are now entering an exciting phase of strategic significance, impact and national recognition, with the launch of a new brand, the creation of a five-year global strategy (http://www.restlessdevelopment.org/learn), and the expansion of programmes to different regions of Nepal. The thematic areas of the study are as per the three goal areas, namely civic participation, livelihoods and income generation, and sexual and reproductive health.
Purpose of the evaluation
The purpose of the evaluation is to understand the situation of young people in Nepal. The study will serve as a baseline for the national five year strategy and evaluations at the end of the projects. The baseline will also inform the design of programmes and allow modification to interventions to improve impact.
Objectives of the evaluation
To lead the baseline evaluation in Restless Development Nepal as per the National Strategic Framework 2011-2016.
Specific objectives, action points and deliverables will be
- Review the baseline study design and plan
- Finalise tools
- Design the field plan for data collection
- Recruit and train investigators for data collection in coordination with Restless Development
- Train the study team for their roles in the study
- Conduct field data collection and supervise the process
- Prepare data entry screens
- Train data entry persons
- Supervise data entry processes and ensure quality data
- Undertake data analysis
- Train the current team on data analysis
- Submission of a draft report in electronic format to Restless Development for feedback, in line with agreed timeframe.
- Submission of a comprehensive final report which incorporates feedback in electronic format to Restless Development, in line with agreed timeframe.
- Submission of all data to Restless Development before contract end-date
- A meeting with Restless Development Management Committee to present key findings and recommendations
The work should be completed within two months and no later than end August 2012.
Restless Development is offering a consultancy fee of £2,000 for completion of the work. A senior consultant may wish to appoint a field coordinator, but the overall package will not change.
The consultant will be responsible for bearing their own costs in Kathmandu. Restless Development will provide support to arrange transport, accommodation and access to stakeholders and will cover field based costs in line with the agreed budget. tion Process
Restless Development invites applications from consultants able to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Relevant academic background (Masters or PhD preferred)
- At least five years of experience planning and implementing evaluations and research for development programmes
- Fully conversant in data analysis programmes including SPSS and EpiInfo
- Fluent in written and spoken English; Nepali fluency also preferred
- Knowledge of youth issues specially in the areas of civic participation, livelihoods and income generation, and sexual and reproductive health
- Knowledge of and/or practical experience in youth-led development and programming
- Evidenced ability to gather and critically analyse qualitative and quantitative data
- Excellent written communication and report writing skills
- Demonstrated management, teamwork, and organisational skills
- Belief in Restless Development’s values and an ability to uphold them personally
Candidates from all nationalities are invited to apply for this position.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are to submit:
- CV and covering letter outlining suitability for the role and motivation for applying
- One or two examples of similar pieces of work
Applications may be submitted electronically to Kate Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 27th June 2012.