Organization: Restless development
Unit: Restless Development Nepal
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal (Head Office)
Salary: As outlined in the appointment letter.
Benefits: 24 days annual leave and health insurance
Reports to: Country Director – Restless Development Nepal
Direct Reports: Programme Coordinator and Assistant Programme Coordinator
Expected travel: National travel will be required (approximately 10%), including to rural areas.
Closing Date: 27th June 2012 First round interviews: Week beginning 1st July 2012
Restless Development, the youth-led development agency, has been the global leader in engaging and supporting young people to address the most urgent issues affecting their lives, communities and countries since 1985. We are repeatedly cited as a model of best practice in youth-led development by the World Bank, the UK Department for International Development, UNICEF, UNAIDS and other international development institutions.
With over twenty years of successful work in Nepal, Restless Development has entered into an exciting phase of strategic significance, impact and national recognition, extending and developing our programmes in line with our five year national strategy. We are seeking a dynamic Programme Manager for Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning to lead our evaluations and research work, and provide high level support to the programmes team for monitoring and reporting.
- Monitoring and Reporting
- Evaluations and Research
- Sharing and Learning
- Programme Strategy and Quality
- Fundraising and Marketing
- Human Resource Management and Capacity Building
- Strategic Planning and Management
Monitoring and Reporting 20%
- Ensure that all Restless Development Nepal programmes have appropriate monitoring and reporting indicators and tools in place, in line with requirements of donors and Restless Development International.
- Build the capacity of the programme team in monitoring, reporting and data analysis as per requirements.
- Develop and support maintenance of relevant databases for programmes, and build capacity of the programme team in their use and management.
- Develop the Evidence Based Decision Making system for all of Nepal’s programmes, and train the programme team in the technique.
- Ensure that monitoring and reporting systems, including fieldwork, collection of reports, and data entry, are correctly implemented by staff and volunteers.
- Lead on the compilation of Restless Development Nepal Quarterly Reports.
Evaluations and Research 20%
- Lead in the management of evaluation projects, such as baseline and endline surveys, including designing, budgeting, planning for data collection, analysis and report writing.
- Innovate in the measurement of the effectiveness of Restless Development’s programmes, including utilising external data and external evaluators.
- Support the Restless Development Nepal Management Committee to plan and implement evaluations of non-programme issues and systems, including effectiveness of information, cost-effectiveness, volunteer safety, etc.
- Together with the Management Committee, design annual research plans.
- Lead research studies as and when required, including designing, budgeting, planning for data collection, analysis and report writing.
Sharing and Learning 10%
- Stay up to date with current good practice in monitoring and evaluation both within Restless Development internationally as well as externally.
- Ensure timely documentation and dissemination of key findings from monitoring, evaluation and research, specifically presenting programmes results and impact, to appropriate national and international stakeholders, including the government and other partners.
- Support the programme team to appropriately format and disseminate programmes results and impact to programme stakeholders (including beneficiaries) at national, state, district and village/school levels.
- Build and manage systems for sharing and learning within Restless Development, including sharing external and internal information both within the Nepal office and with other Restless Development offices.
Programme Strategy and Quality 15%
Together with the Programme Manager – Delivery and Capacity Building:
- Develop appropriate logistical frameworks and indicators for all programmes.
- Plan and manage regular programme review workshops to ensure that evaluation and monitoring data informs programme development
- Ensure that programmes contribute to national and international strategies, including the Millennium Development Goals, National Youth Policy, Education for All Strategy, and the Government of Nepal’s Long Term Plan
- Ensure programmes reflect the operational standards, strategy and practices of Restless Development internationally in line with the Global Programme Quality Compendium and international good practice.
- Design, develop, and rollout programme quality guides, standards and tools.
Fundraising and Marketing 15%
- Prepare monitoring and evaluation data for marketing and fundraising purposes, including donor reports.
- Produce documents including case studies, study briefs, and impact briefs for use by the fundraising and marketing team.
- Support fundraising through report and proposal writing, logistical framework and concept development, research, and partner meetings.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to raise Restless Development’s profile.
Human Resource Management and Capacity Building 10%
- Manage MEL staff through monthly meetings/updates, monitoring work, schedule work plans and review.
- Support staff through entire performance management cycle with regular objective setting and reviews.
- Build the capacity of the Management Committee in Evidence Based Decision Making and performance based line management.
- Design and implement appropriate training programmes and support systems for volunteers and staff to ensure understanding and quality implementation of monitoring, evaluation and research systems.
- Serve as a role model – personally embodying Restless Development’s mission and values, and strictly adhering to policies and procedures and ensuring other staff to do the same.
Strategic Planning and Management 10%
- Serve as an active member of the Nepal Management Committee, providing guidance and expertise on monitoring and evaluation issues.
- Manage unit priorities through the development and regular review of unit operational plans and implementation calendars.
- Lead the programme component of strategic planning and reviews in coordination with the programme team and immediate stakeholders.Develop annual budgets of MEL unit activities, and monitor expenditure.
- Contribute to Restless Development’s Global Strategy and Direction through participation in identified global strategic development and/or decision- making processes.
Other duties as required, sometimes requiring working on weekends and holidays for which time off in lieu can be taken
Experience and Skills
- Graduate degree (Master’s preferable) in relevant field of study
- Minimum of five years’ experience in development sector
- Minimum of three years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation, including design of systems and tools, data analysis and report writing
- Experience in designing and leading on specific research projects
- Strong data analysis skills (quantitative and qualitative)
- Experience in training delivery and provision of capacity building support
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Excellent IT skills, including relevant data management packages, including EpiInfo, SPSS, and others
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Previous work experience in Nepal or in rural areas
- A clear understanding of contemporary development issues and trends in M&E in the field of international development
- Experience of line- and performance managing people
- Experience of managing multi-site research works
- Experience in handling budgets and finances
- Nepali language skills
Individual must be results orientated, highly self-motivated and have demonstrated analytical skills. She or he must be able to ‘see beyond the data’ with a vision for the strategic contribution of M&E data to all facets of the organisation. The successful candidate will thrive in a multi-cultural environment as part of a rapidly growing and developing organisation and be personally committed to Restless Development’s mission and values.
How to apply
Please send a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. Please note we DO NOT accept CVs, résumés or covering letters
To apply please download an application form here