Organization: RTI International
Job ID: 14129
Location: RTP, NC 27709
RTI International is seeking innovative leaders for a Vice President for Global Health Research and Evaluation position to serve as a member of the senior leadership team for RTI’s Global Health Group (GHG). The Global Health Group is an expanding division at RTI which currently has a staff of 450 with work in over 20 countries, including two regional offices in Nairobi, Kenya and Bangkok, Thailand.
Applicants should be well-known leaders in global health economics/ health financing with additional expertise in one or more of the following technical areas: health systems strengthening, health governance, or health policy. The candidate should have a proven track record of successfully managing health research portfolios across multiple geographic regions with a particular emphasis in applied research and evaluation. This position will report to the Vice President for Global Health and will be based in Research Triangle Park, N.C. or Washington, D.C.
• Leads the Global Health Group’s Research and Evaluation Division to provide cross-cutting leadership and support for applied research, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), and knowledge management to GHG’s technical programs.
• Responsible for all aspects of GHG’s Research portfolio including management, technical development, program implementation, personnel, as well as budgetary and financial oversight.
• Provide senior-level technical expertise and leadership to GHG programs across the health systems strengthening building blocks, with a focus on financing, leadership and governance.
• Work with GHG Regional Program Directors and Global Project Directors to identify opportunities and implement project- and/or Institute-funded studies in order to further RTI’s scientific stature.
• Identify opportunities to document and apply tools, approaches, best practices, and lessons learned across GHG programs and projects.
• Conduct evaluations, comparative analyses, acceptability studies, and other research tasks in support of GHG projects.
• Oversee the development and strengthening of M&E systems for projects in the field and support the capacity building of project M&E and Research Officers.
• Provide senior-level representation of RTI’s GHG with donors, strategic program partners and other stakeholders at high profile technical meetings, events and forums. Interact and network with donors, potential partners, competitors, and major international health groups to keep up on the latest developments in international programmatic and funding trends for health systems strengthening, research and evaluation.
• Collaborate with strategic partners across the Institute and externally on joint activities including technical presentations, small research projects, and policy briefs.
• Oversee the development of technical publications and ensures tracking, documentation and publication (where appropriate) of GHG project best practices and lessons learned.
• In coordination with the VP for Global Health Programs, ensures that project tools, approaches, best practices and lessons learned from existing projects and programs are being adequately utilized.
• Coordinate with GHG Business, Marketing and Communications team to ensure that R&E activities/products are widely disseminated within and outside RTI, and contribute to positioning GHG at a strategic advantage for new business development.
Education and Experience:
• Minimum of a Ph.D. in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Economics, Health Sciences or related field;
• Candidates must have at least 18-20 years of progressive experience in research, program design, program management, and/or M&E.
• Extensive experience working in developing countries on health economics issues, as well as applied research and project monitoring and evaluation for donor-funded projects (experience with USAID-funded projects preferred).
• Experience implementing projects for other donors in the global health community preferred (DFID, AUSAID, Gates Foundation, etc).
• Experience working on one or more additional areas preferred: health policy, health governance, public/private partnerships, malaria, or HIV/AIDS.
• Prior business development experience preferred.
• A record of publications, reports or analyses in health economics, health financing, and/or health systems strengthening.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Specific technical expertise in health economics, including health financing, health insurance, and health sector reforms required.
• Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills are required.
• Excellent writing, editing, research, and presentation skills.
• Proven track record in building successful relationships with donors, partners, and stakeholders in the global health community.
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Excellent skills in oral and written communications. Demonstrated skills at writing clearly and succinctly.
• Ability to produce thorough, high quality work within a tight timeframe.
• Strong knowledge of PEPFAR, the President’s Global Health and Malaria Initiatives and other major donor initiatives is required.
• Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks and work collaboratively within a matrix-oriented environment.
• Willingness to travel up to 30% of time.
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 2,800 provides research and technical expertise to governments and businesses in more than 40 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory and chemistry services.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. Specific information regarding the laws that are designed to protect you against discrimination relating to your legal right to work in the US can be located at the employment portal http://www.rti.org/jobs
RTI participates in the US Government E-Verify program, for specific information on this program please visit our employment portal at http://www.rti.org/jobs