Organization: Edburgh consultants
Period: May 2012 – March 2013
Subscription deadline: 29 March 2012
Edburgh reference number: 722-03011
Sectors: Evaluation, EC Programmes
The evaluation shall cover the Commission’s past and current cooperation relations with ACP countries through the intra-ACP envelope of the 9th and 10th EDF.
This specifically includes the (i) 9th EDF envelope of EUR 2.883 million for the period 2002-2007 and (ii) 10th EDF envelope of EUR 2.700 million for the period 2008-2013 (presently committed at 86%).
The Consultant should assess:
– the relevance, coherence and complementarity of the Commission’s co-operation and cooperation strategies for the intra-ACP funds during the period 2003-2012;
– the consistency between programming and implementation for the same period;
– the implementation of the Commission’s co-operation, focusing on effectiveness and efficiency and on expected and achieved results for the period under the programming cycle;
Furthermore, the evaluation should focus on
– Identifying key lessons from the Commission’s past Intra-ACP co-operation, paying particularly attention to the impact of specific actions against their objectives;
– Providing detailed and operational recommendations, in particular in view of the up-coming programming of the 11th EDF.
This evaluation is to be carried out by a team with advanced knowledge, and experience in at least the following fields:
– Strong professional experience in evaluation and familiarity with the methodological approach set by the European Commission.
– Sound and proven experience in evaluation methods and techniques, preferably in ACP countries, including at the programme and policy level plus relevant field experience. Ability to assess and communicate best practices.
– In-depth knowledge of development issues especially in ACP countries.
– In-depth understanding of EC external policies and practices. Appropriate experience across the range of instruments, programmes and types of external co-operation, and access to knowledge on the ACP region.
– To carry out the study, the consultant must be familiar with the Cotonou Agreement as well as the strategic documents of the Commission regarding private sector development.
– The team must possess excellent drafting skills.
– Experience in evaluation of EDF-funded projects/programmes would be a strong asset.
Specific requirements – Expert II – Project Evaluation Expert (Senior)
1. University degree in economics, social sciences or equivalent (master level);
2. At least 10 years of relevant professional experience; preferably knowledge of the EU instruments in the field;
3. Good knowledge of EU procedures, in particular with respect to the implementation of EDF projects;
4. Experience with the conception and implementation of complex projects;
5. Relevant experience in programme and / or project evaluation;
6. Solid experience in the ACP region would be highly desirable, experience in other regions will be an asset;
7. Good understanding of the PCM methodology required;
8. Working knowledge of English and French.
The composition of the team of experts should be balanced to enable complete coverage of the different aspects of project evaluation (evaluation methods and techniques) as set out in these terms of reference, including cross-cutting issues (environmental sustainability, gender equity, good governance and human rights).
Given the scope of the exercise, it is not expected that the team includes specific technical expertise in all areas covered by the 9th and 10th Intra ACP envelopes. A large part of the assignment will be based on existing evaluations and reviews already performed by such technical experts. However, the expertise of the team should preferably include specific experience linked to the different instruments of the intra-ACP funding as far as possible given the limitations in the number of experts (including education, culture, private sector development, trade, agriculture, energy, water).
If you are interested in this job opportunity, please send your CV to email@example.com mentioning the job reference number. We also request you to register in our expert’s dbase and attach your most recent CV.