Organization: GAVI Alliance
Purpose of the post: Monitor and engage in the relevant public policy arenas and networks of influence to inform GAVI policy and programme development and influence international development approaches and policies.
Team: Advocacy & Public Policy – External Relations
Reports to: Deputy Director, Advocacy and Public Policy
Career step Level: 4
Date issued: 5 March 2012
Closing date: 25 March 2012
Key results expected:
- Advantageous positioning and influence in international development and global health fora;
- Strategic advice to senior management on developments in GAVI’s external operating environment related to public policy issues;
- Identification and pursuit of strategic opportunities and challenges for GAVI in the public policy domain.
Main duties/ Responsibilities:
- Monitor, analyse and advise on public policy developments in global health and international development;
- Engage in key processes and events that bring together stakeholders in the international development and global health arenas (e.g. G8, G20, World Health Assembly, OECD and UN processes considering issues such as aid effectiveness; added value of public private partnerships; and development financing) to ensure that GAVI is advantageously positioned in critical development debates;
- Support GAVI leadership and management in policy development and external engagement, including preparation of briefs, speeches and presentations;
- Assist in the development and implementation of an Advocacy and Public Policy Strategy to support the strategic goals and programmatic work of GAVI;
- Establish links with and utilise the output from academia, non-government aid organisations, development institutions and “think tanks” to inform and advance GAVI’s mission;
- Engage with other Secretariat teams to inform GAVI policy and programme development and external outreach, including to the donor community;
- Perform other duties as assigned consistent with the role and level.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not limited only to the tasks listed and may include other duties as assigned.
- Advanced University Degree in the field of the position (e.g. political science, economics, international relations/development, public policy) or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 7 years of work experience in a similar position;
- Substantial experience engaging in international fora, including with bilateral and multilateral development agencies;
- Good knowledge of institutional and organisation policies, systems and procedures;
- Field experience in developing countries desirable;
- Public and Global Health experience an asset.
- Sound knowledge of the international development landscape and current issues;
- Excellent written and verbal presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills in international environments;
- Well developed research skills, analytical capability and high level of numeracy;
- Results focused;
- Supervisory and team-work skills in a multi-cultural environment;
- Good knowledge of institutional or organization policies, systems and procedures;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Tact and discretion.
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Other languages relevant to GAVI programme environment desirable.
- GAVI Secretariat.
- Aid and development policy makers and influencers.
If you wish to apply, please email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com by the closing date and mention, “Senior Manager Public Policy ” in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
GAVI is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.