Organization United Nations Development Programm (UNDP)
Location : Maputo, MOZAMBIQUE
Application Deadline : 20-Mar-12
Type of Contract : TA Local
Post Level : NO-B
Languages Required : English Portuguese
Starting Date : 23-Apr-2012
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 8 months
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Resident Coordinator, the RCO Monitoring and Evaluation Officer provides assistance to the execution of services in the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office by:
- Supporting the results-oriented focus of the new UNDAF 2012-2015 through the design and management of an adequate system to measure development results;
- Supporting the RC, in her function as manager of the MDG-Fund in the country, to oversee the implementation of the fund Joint Programmes;
- Promoting knowledge sharing and enhancing knowledge management systems for the UN in Mozambique.
The Office of the UN Resident Coordinator has been intimately involved in the design and operationalization of the UN reform programme in Mozambique. The objective of UN reform in is to enhance effectiveness and efficiency of the UN. This means the UN has to work better together, and be more coherent and strategic in its interventions.
Management mechanisms and monitoring and evaluation systems have so far been based on Agency specific guidelines and rules. However, joint planning based at the Development Results Groups (DRGs) level requires also joint review and standardization of planning and reporting formats.
The real benefit from UN coordination and collaboration is the increased impact that UN system support will have on Mozambique’s development priorities and attainment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Other important benefits include the reduced transaction costs caused by the UN for Government; strengthened national capacity for monitoring the impact on poverty reduction and other important national goals; and the increased recognition by Governments and other partners of the potential strength of the UN system when it works as a coherent whole.
Enhancing the prospects for joint collaboration and “One UN” requires a correspondingly strengthened coordination support capacity for the role of RC, especially for results-based planning and monitoring & evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support the results-oriented focus of the new UNDAF 2012-2015 through the design and management of an adequate system to measure development results:
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to the DRGs in the area of annual planning, performance monitoring, reviews and reporting;
- Provide guidance and develop initiatives to enhance RBM and M&E knowledge and skills of UN staff;
- Support the RC and the UNCT in the implementation and monitoring of the UNDAF 2012-2015 as per its Results and Monitoring Framework;
- Provide guidance and advice in the design and operationalization of evaluations of the One UN Initiative in the country;
- Assist the RC and UNCT, in close consultation with relevant Government counterparts, in the preparatory process of the annual reviews of the UNDAF 2012-2015;
- Provide guidance in consolidating the UNDAF annual progress report;
- Maintain the UNDAF database and disseminate it and train UN staff on its use accordingly;
- As Chair of the Monitoring and Evaluation Group (M&EG), act as the UN system-wide focal point for UNDAF M&E, coordinate the M&EG in providing technical guidance and assistance in M&E and ensure that M&EG members who are M&E focal points in DRGs are dully guided and fulfill their roles in the groups to the maximum satisfaction;
- As a member of the Delivering as One M&E Network, act as the focal point for Mozambique for the M&E of the One UN initiative, fostering dialogue among pilots and self-starters, exchanging knowledge and good practices.
Support the RC, in her function as manager of the MDG-Fund in the country, to oversee the implementation of the fund Joint Programmes:
- Participate in the Programme Management Committees of the MDG-F joint programmes to follow-up on the implementation;
- Provide guidance to the JPs and the RC on MDG fund processes and guidelines when needed;
- Provide guidance and support throughout the process of the final evaluations of the MDG-F Joint Programmes to ensure maximum quality of the evaluations while following MDG-F and lead agencies administrative processes and guidelines;
- Review and comment all reports generated by the Joint Programmes and submit them to the MDG-F Secretariat once finalized.
Promote knowledge sharing and enhancing knowledge management systems for the UN in Mozambique
- Support the development of tools and systems to enhance knowledge networking, sharing best practices and technical expertise within the UN (especially through the intranet);
- Act as the ‘institutional memory’ within the UN system, ensuring an updated and comprehensive knowledge base and document repository system;
- Participate in the management and maintenance of the UN Mozambique Intranet as member of the intranet management team.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Communication & Coordination
- Strategic vision, strong technical and analytical capabilities and demonstrated ability to gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavor through technical leadership in a broad range of operational areas.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact, and negotiating skills, and the ability to cope with situations which may pose conflict;
- Proven ability to work in a team, develop synergies and establish effective working relations within the RCO, with persons of different UN Agencies, government counterparts, donors and NGOs.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Good knowledge of UN system, programming policies and procedures as well as operational activities for development. Previous experience in UNDAF development and UN reform is considered as a plus.
- Shares knowledge and experience from within and outside the UN Country Team;
- Encourages UN staff to share knowledge;
- Develops substantive knowledge in CCA, UNDAF, UN System reform and MDGs.
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan;
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships;
- Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside the normal job description.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or higher in international development, development economics, political science, statistics, or related area.
- At least 5 years postgraduate, progressively responsible experience in development programming and monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience with the UN is an added advantage.
- Proficiency in English and Portuguese.
Qualified candidates nationals of Mozambique are invited to apply.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.