Organization: Mercy Corps
Tracking Code: 217981-927
Job Location: Aden, `ADAN YE
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
As Mercy Corps seeks to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression around the world we recognize that instances of sudden change within a country or region, like the events currently sweeping across the Middle East/North Africa, are rare moments of opportunity. Mercy Corps has been present in the Middle East since the 1980s and currently has offices in Yemen, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Egypt and Libya. Mercy Corps opened its office in Yemen in 2010.
Mercy Corps in Yemen is actively engaged in both development and humanitarian programs working in a number of Governorates. Mercy Corps is interested in strengthening its presence especially in the area of Humanitarian Assistance to the Yemeni population affected by conflict. Yemen is currently in the midst of a large humanitarian crisis that will only continue to grow over the next 12 to 14 months. The main donor interest here in Yemen is to provide lifesaving assistance to Yemeni population in the North and South of the country. In addition, there is a clear and expressed need for early recovery and transition programming in the country as the wind of political change sweeps across the land. It is imperative that Mercy Corps present itself as a key and reliable partner with various donors, INGOs Govt authorities and Civil Society actors in the country so as to be part of the process of the change. Bringing knowledge, expertise and strong management skills from within the Region and beyond will position Mercy Corps as a partner of choice for this change process in Yemen.
There is a mix of integrated programs across various sectors that are being implemented in the country. In addition, there are a number of donors involved in supporting Mercy Corps in its endeavors in Yemen. Donor’s in Yemen include ECHO, OFDA, UNICEF, USAID and others.. There are a number of national and international partners that Mercy Corps work’s with in order to meet the complex and growing needs of the communities in urban and rural areas of Yemen. Currently, Mercy Corps has offices in Aden, Sana’a and Taiz but soon will open several more field offices to support newly funded programs.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
Working under the direction of the Country Representative, the DM&E Manager in Yemen is expected to contribute to the quality assurance of program implementation of gender, youth, protection, monitoring and evaluation and ensure that Mercy Corps programs/projects bring a significant contribution to reducing poverty and build secure productive and just communities and play a leading role in transforming Mercy Corps programs in Yemen.
S/he will oversee and develop high quality design and implementation of long term development and emergency programs, and lead the development of new and innovative initiatives that effectively address the underlying causes of poverty in line with Mercy Corps Programming Principles. S/he must also ensure that systems and people are in place to ensure proper management of these projects and programs. S/he will work closely with all Program Managers, Head of Office, and national staff involved in program implementation and Advisors in the Country Office in order to ensure a coherent and comprehensive program is designed and implemented, lessons are learned and experiences shared across the various sectors and program teams.
S/he will also play a pivotal role in building the capacity of local partners, national staff and other stakeholders in the principles and practices of monitoring and evaluation. S/he will design and conduct appropriate training modules and mentor staff, colleagues and partners in order to build their capacity in the field of DM&E.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Strategy and Vision
- Provide leadership in field offices in developing individual program level M&E systems that inform and improve each program;
- Link the individual program level M&E system into the broader nationwide M&E system and country strategy;
- Lead and build capacity of and M&E team made up of national staff, interns, project partners and other stakeholders;
- Continue to develop and improve systems that strengthen Mercy Corps Yemen’s ability to analyze and represent impact internally and externally and most of all to communities themselves;
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development;
- Ensure that programs are in alignment with the agency’s Mission Metrics framework.
- Be a member of the Country Senior Management Team (SMT);
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes;
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence;
- Coordinate with DM&E Officers to establish and maintain effective program reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems for both internal and external use for timely and smooth monitoring of program progress and impact and make program adjustments accordingly;
- Ensure the development of appropriate monitoring, tracking and reporting systems, tools and templates that enhance monitoring of program outputs and quality, generate quality evidence on program impact and promote and ensure use of data for decision-making processes;
- Establish and support the development of a data management system that serves country programs and is accessible across the Country Office;
- Provide timely technical support and capacity building for assessments and evaluations;
- Provide input as to M&E systems and act as a link to HQ M&E technical colleagues and Mission Metrics;
- Set up and supervise the Yemen M&E unit including hiring, orienting and supervising M&E colleagues and PMs as appropriate;
- The DM&E Manager will play a central role in all evaluations, design, and implementation and developing the capacity of national team and project partners to conduct internal evaluations;
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews;
- Provide team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives;
- S/he will coordinate with members of the Program Team in the Country Office to develop and promote the use of standard indicators, tools and forms (as appropriate) and M&E practices across all programs and coordinate the collection of information required for CO level management;
- Coordinate with IT colleagues in HQ to ensure efficient and transparent data management systems within programs;
Quality and Accountability
- Coordinate with the team in the Country Office and in HQ to build systems that promote beneficiary accountability by ensuring that communities participate in initial assessments and program design;
- Ensure that communities are informed about our programs and what we do, are aware of their entitlements, are comfortable to give feedback and that feedback is used to improve the quality of our programs;
- Ensure integration of M&E and accountability systems that are compliant with HAP international benchmarks, SPHERE and other relevant standards;
- Support and inculcate a culture of learning between programs through consistent sharing of M&E processes and systems;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive staff training series to build team capacity in the area of M&E and reporting;
- Build the capacity of local partners in the area of M&E and reporting;
- Build the capacity of all relevant team members to develop and maintain a robust M&E system, including periodical reflection and analysis of program monitoring data;
- Develop plans to mentor and coach colleagues to build their capacity to enable them to develop high quality reports and other documents;
- Facilitate the development and execution of context specific solutions to improve collaboration, coordination and performance;
- Work with CR to strengthen linkages with other actors to enhance organizational learning which directly impacts staff performance and productivity;
- Manage the development of monitoring and tracking systems;
- Assist the PM Communications and Advocacy to ensure that all communications are in line with Mercy Corps values and goals in relation to DM&E and communications;
- Develop and implement plans for further integration of information management systems within Mercy Corps and across partner agencies;
- Manage the institutional knowledge within the Yemen program and contribute to wider knowledge management;
Proposal Development and Reports Management
- Coordinate with field program staff and other relevant Mercy Corps stakeholders on proposal development , project design in pursuit of high impact and cost effective program strategies and activities;
- Maintain a comprehensive list and schedule of private and institutional funding reports, including the detailed requirements necessary for each donor/grant and/or project;
- Develop a program reporting schedule and share among all PMs and Advisors;
- Develop program operational reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition and aggregation of information in programs;
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Technical oversight of field based M&E officers, works closely with all PMs, Sectors specialists and advisors. Also works closely with the PM Communication and Advocacy.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Country Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Country Director, Program and Operations teams, HQ DM&E team
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- A min of 5 years’ experience in the areas of program development, M&E and reporting;
- Must have extensive training skills and experience working with a variety of donors;
- Advance computer skills and experience developing data management systems;
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methodologies required;
- Previous experience in Yemen and/or Middle East strongly preferred
- Team player who takes initiative and is a problem-solver;
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking and organizational skill;
- Prior experience living overseas and ability to work in a fluid security environment;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; Fluency in Arabic strongly preferred.
The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity. An ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. An impeccable professional standard of M&E and reporting as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures. The DM&E Manager must be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The Yemen program is a relatively new, with a growing portfolio in a fluid security environment. The SPM DM&E must therefore demonstrate a high degree of flexibility and a willingness to perform a wide range of tasks.
LIVING /ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be based in Aden, Yemen – the location of Mercy Corp’s project activities – with travel to Sana’a. This position will be required to reside in a group living environment in guest housing; must be able to work in an environment with energy, transportation and communication challenges. This position is unaccompanied and work may be completed remotely, when necessary. The team member must follow all security protocol at all times. This position is eligible for R&R and the Mercy Corps Hardship allowance.
Mercy Corps is an AA/EOE.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Please note that this position is contingent upon funding.