Organization United Nations Development Programm (UNDP)
Location : New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Application Deadline : 21-Mar-12
Additional Category: Millennium Development Goals
Type of Contract : FTA International
Post Level : P-3
Languages Required : English Spanish
Starting Date : 01-May-2012
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract : 1 year, Management Project Funded (MPF) post
In December 2006, UNDP and the Government of Spain signed a major agreement to programme €528 million through the UN development system towards key MDG and related development goals. The UNDP-Spain MDG Achievement Fund (MDG-F) seeks to accelerate progress towards attainment of the MDGs in participating countries by supporting policies that promise high impact, scaling-up of successful models, and innovations in development practice. The Fund operates through UN Country Teams and actively strives to strengthen inter-agency coherence and effectiveness. Substantively the MDG-F focuses on the eight thematic windows including: Democratic governance; gender equality and women’s empowerment; youth employment and migration; private sector and development; environment and climate change; conflict prevention and peace building; children, food security and nutrition; and culture and development. A robust results monitoring and evaluation framework and strategy were developed in order to track and measure the overall impact of this historic contribution to the MDGs and to multilateralism. The Fund has financed 128 joint programmes in 49 countries for US$700M.
The MDG-F Secretariat is the operational coordination unit for the Fund and services the MDG-F Steering Committee. The Secretariat sits in the Bureau for External Relations and Advocacy of UNDP headquarters. The Secretariat is delegated by the Steering Committee to ensure policies and strategies decided by the Steering Committee are implemented and adhered to. The Secretariat manages the Fund’s overall monitoring and evaluation strategy.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist of the MDG-F Secretariat works closely with senior management to identify key trends, lessons learned, conclusions and recommendations to influence broader UN reform processes and development effectiveness agenda based on the analysis of the experiences and evidences of one of the largest UN funds. He/She reports to the Directorate of the Secretariat.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Effective use of the evaluation products and outcomes at the MDG-Fund
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing of the MDG-F outcomes of the monitoring and evaluation products
Ensures the effective use of the evaluation products and outcomes at the MDG-Fund focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Identify unique evaluation products of the MDG-Fund to generate reference evidence based papers that contribute to the MDG-Fund overall efforts to further advance the MDGs, UN reform processes and the principles embedded in the Paris/Accra Declarations.
- Provide technical advice on the most appropriate type/format/process to prepare relevant evidence based papers and analysis.
- Analyze multiple reports and evaluation products to strategically extract the most relevant results and evidences generated with the view to impact wider policy oriented processes within the UN system and wider development community.
- Systemize lessons learnt, trends, consultations and recommendations in a very articulated manner for internal and external use.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing of the MDG-F outcomes of the monitoring and evaluation products, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identify and formulate lessons learnt from evaluations and studies to be integrated into the MDG-F advocacy efforts to increase the effectiveness of UN, most particularly UN joint programmes to deliver as one.
- Based on analyses, identify key stakeholders/communities to share knowledge and disseminate good practices, and formulate recommendations to improve overall programme planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Package the core analysis and key message for a wide range of audiences/stakeholders.
- Collate, consolidate and analyze data available through the monitoring and final reports (generic thematic indicators, programme M&E plans etc.) as well as other available sources such as programme surveys to provide evidence-based information on results and contributions to MDGs.
- Participate in the evaluation community remaining abreast of the latest development and professional norms, standards, tools and methodologies.
- Other M&E activities as required.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of the MDG-F. Effective use and analysis of evaluation products and outcomes to enhance the UN system’s capacity to be more effective in supporting national priorities and deliver development results.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness; displays cultural sensitivity; shows strong corporate commitment; honest and complies with UNDP rules, regulations and code of conduct.
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work
- Looks at experience critically, drawing lessons, and building them into the design of new approaches.
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills. Ability to present coherent and convincing positions both in writing and orally.
- Demonstrates high tolerance for change, complexity and unpredictability. Ability to work under pressure
- Problem-solving skills.
- Strong inter-personal skills: Ability to motivate and inter-act with colleagues at all levels within the organization as well as with inter-agency partners.
- Results Oriented: Uses initiative to deliver required outputs and planned results in accordance with time and budget targets.
- Problem Analysis and Decision-Making: Analyses reports systematically and efficiently. Focuses on critical details while managing a broad perspective. Draws accurate conclusions and prepares effective summaries.
- Planning and Execution: Elaborates work plans that prioritize action steps, set timelines and monitor performance.
- Encourages the use of new technologies and strives for high standard of professional work.
- Strong grasp of Monitoring and Evaluation policies.
- Knowledge of the UN is desirable;
- In depth knowledge of functioning of key international donors;
- Sound writing skills
- Must be able to read in English, Spanish and French
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of web based statistical software
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree, preferably in social sciences with a focus on monitoring and evaluation, data collection/research and analysis of data, community based monitoring or related field.
- Minimum five years of experience in international cooperation.
- Knowledge and practice in analyzing reports and extracting common conclusions and lessons;
- Experience in programme/project formulation, monitoring and evaluation with international organizations;
- A minimum of two years of field experience is required;
- Knowledge in the international development agenda and in particular the Millennium and Paris Declarations;
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.