Organization: Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Department: Independent Evaluation Department
1. JOB PURPOSE:
Lead in the conduct of evaluation studies, particularly complex evaluations like the annual report of portfolio performance, annual evaluation review, country assistance program evaluations and evaluation of ADB strategies, policies and projects in developing member countries (DMCs), including joint evaluations with other development partners. Draw lessons from evaluation studies and their implications for improving development effectiveness of ADB operations and disseminate findings and lessons to increase awareness and use of knowledge in ADB and DMCs. Provide operational support to improve the quality of projects and ensure lessons from evaluations are incorporated in the country strategy, sector and policy formulation and project and technical assistance (TA) design. Work within general policies, principles and goals, working directly with clients.
2. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- Operations Evaluation
- Substantially contribute in the development, pilot testing and adoption of innovative methodologies to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of ADB’s policies and strategies, lending operations and knowledge based products, with particular focus on the education sector.
- Prepare country, sector and other syntheses of evaluation findings and contribute in other ways to the delivery of knowledge management action plan.
- Lead projects and assignments involving moderate to high levels of risk with many variables, requiring constant review of deliverables and process, and multi-discipline including those outside own field of expertise.
- Perform work independently in own field of specialization, equipped with knowledge and experience of multiple discipline.
- Operations Support
- Review and provide advice on loan and TA project design, particularly in the education sector, to ensure that lessons from evaluations are incorporated to improve the quality of new projects, design and monitoring framework follows established guidelines, proposed monitoring and evaluation systems are robust, project rationale and analytical underpinning are sound, and the likelihood of project sustainability is strong.
- Review and provide advice on proposed operational policies, procedures, and country strategy and operational programs of ADB in light of evaluation findings and development context.
- Knowledge Management
- Foster knowledge sharing and disseminate evaluation findings and lessons to increase awareness and knowledge in ADB through support to the Department’s knowledge management unit.
- Lead and develop strategies and programs to strengthen the self evaluation capacity of ADB departments.
- Lead the Department’s internal peer review process and demonstrate intellectual leadership.
- Contribute from the Department’s perspective to ADB-wide initiatives such as Managing for Development Results and the Reform Agenda.
- Staff Supervision
- Take the role of mission leader and supervise the work of mission members.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
3. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
A university degree in Education, Social Sciences, Management, Economics or related fields; preferably at post graduate level or its equivalent.
4. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in operational, economic, social, and technical aspects of developing economies and/ or project preparation, appraisal, management, administration and evaluation in the social sectors (with experience and leading-edge expertise in the education sector being highly desirable), related policy dialogue and/or country strategy development for DMCs
- Experience in the processing and/or administration of loans and TA products of ADB or similar multilateral development institutions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- International experience working in several countries
5. CORE COMPETENCIES:
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
– Deals with routine queries and correspondence in accordance with procedures
– Proactively seeks relevant development opportunities and submits for approval
– Produces summaries and frameworks by collecting and analyzing diverse information
– Adjusts style and approach to respect and serve different clients
– Conveys messages by asking questions and using different approaches
– Identifies when a client issue requires escalation
– Responds to clients without prompts or reminders from senior colleagues
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
– Proposes solutions to minimize delays and setbacks in completing work
– Reviews all task objectives and achieves core deliverables
– Uses time management and organizational skills to promptly complete work to the required standard
– Delivers beyond the stated task objectives
– Consistently works effectively with individuals of different views, culture, nationality, gender, and age
– Consistently seeks assistance when requirements are unclear
– Provides timely updates on relevant information
– Freely shares and seeks useful knowledge and to complete work
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
– Uses effective written and oral communication in preparing documents, presentations and interactions
– Asks questions to understand how to follow up on feedback
– Locates relevant information to expedite workflow
Innovation and Change
– Adopts new policies, systems and processes in a timely fashion
– Shares ideas for how work can be completed more effectively
6. IMMEDIATE REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
The position reports to: Director
The following staff positions report to the Evaluation Specialist: National Officers and Administrative Staff
7. IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS:
Established in 1966 and headquartered in Manila, Philippines, ADB’s multicultural staff come from over 50 member countries. ADB offers an internationally competitive salary paid in US dollars. Salaries and benefits are generally free of tax except for citizens of some countries, primarily the USA and the Philippines, whose incomes are taxed by their respective governments. While the position advertised is for the ADB Headquarters in Manila, Philippines, ADB staff must be prepared to serve in any location outside its Headquarters at the discretion of Management. Applicants must be nationals of one of ADB’s member countries.
International experience will be taken into consideration.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Due to the volume of applications, ADB will not be able to respond to inquiries about application status and will only contact shortlisted candidates. Applications lacking the job reference number and job title or using the wrong e-mail address will not be considered.