Organization: YMCA of the USA
Location: Chicago, IL
Salary: $62,000 – $78,000
Resumes until: 3/9/2012
YMCA of the USA has an exciting opportunity for a skilled practitioner to manage and conduct program evaluation of select nationwide Y-USA grant-funded projects that strengthen community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. This position requires detailed knowledge of and experience with common aspects of program evaluation from logic model creation, to assessment design, to reporting and acting on results. The position is focused on programs that support student achievement, interest, and engagement in areas such as science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
The Specialist, Program Evaluation will also guide the integration of evaluation of grant funded “signature” programs with an existing organizational Impact Measurement System.
This position will be supported by grants from January 2012 through March 2013 with the possibility of being extended thereafter.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A bachelor’s degree is required; A master’s degree is preferred. A concentration in public policy, social sciences, education, research statistics, or a similar field preferred
- 5 or more years of experience in management of evaluation projects is required
- 5 or more years of experience in online and paper survey design, focus group research, and other methods of information gathering; logic model development; qualitative and quantitative analysis; statistical concepts is required
- Must possess the ability to identify and implement evaluation methods appropriate to individual program; experience building or modifying evaluation tools, rubrics, and assessments
- Must possess advanced knowledge of survey software, relational databases, and Microsoft Office; experience with statistical software preferred
- Must possess experience developing evaluation training materials and conducting evaluation trainings and have the ability to deliver creative, effective reports and presentations of evaluation results
- Must possess experience working with multiple stakeholders, including participants, funders, and partners
- An experience-based understanding of youth development program evaluation, measurement of outcomes in direct and indirect support of academic achievement in low-income communities, and experience with measurement of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) initiatives in out-of-school settings is strongly preferred
- Must possess knowledge of technical systems, processes, and infrastructure necessary to program evaluation
- Must be able to manage regional or national program evaluation projects including experience aggregating local outcomes into peer group, regional, and national findings
- Must possess strong customer service skills; ability to work and reason independently, as well as within a team
- Experience working in a nonprofit, federated association, or consulting environment is preferred. Familiarity with the YMCA movement preferred but not required.
- Commitment to the YMCA character development values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility
- Values. Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
- Inclusion. Values all people for their unique talents, and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
- Relationships. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
- Communication. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Quality Results. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
- Change Capacity. Leads self and others through change by navigating ambiguity appropriately and adapting well to new situations, obstacles, and opportunities.
- Emotional Maturity. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
- Self Development. Is dedicated to the improvement of own capabilities and demonstrates this through the continual expansion of knowledge and skills.
- Lead the design, training, and implementation of appropriate program evaluation for assigned grant-funded projects
- Provide expertise to Y-USA teams, funders, and external consultants on the topic of program outcome and process evaluation
- Align program evaluation efforts related to grant funded projects with Y-USA Impact Measurement System
- Assist with assessment and development of Y-USA and YMCA evaluation capacity
- Oversee centralized data collection systems and processes related to grant funded projects
- Partner with Y-USA’s Financial Development Department to ensure inclusion of program evaluation function in proposals and program evaluation results in reports as appropriate
- Assist Y-USA’s Membership and Program Department with development of “signature” program criteria and assessment of potential signature programs; design evaluation component of identified signature programs (grant-funded)
- Support the Senior Manager of Evaluation and Surveys in the development of resources to support evaluation and measurement best practices
Complete related projects and assignments as directed by the Senior Manager
EFFECT ON END RESULTS/STRATEGIC IMPACT
The Specialist, Program Evaluation will play a critical role in Research Department efforts to build and maintain program evaluation capacity at Y-USA and in YMCAs. This position empowers YMCAs and the Movement to evaluate program performance and use the results to communicate achievements and to drive the continual improvement of Y programs to better serve participants and to foster growth, innovation, and funding opportunities.
Effective use of program evaluation supports impact measurement and helps Ys improve their ability to nurture the potential of kids, improve the nation’s health and well-being, and provide opportunities to give back and support neighbors.
HOW TO APPLY
online applications only will be accepted(No phone calls)
Contact: Erica Lee