Organization: Kauffman & Associates, Inc.
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Closing date: Friday, March 9, 2012
Founded in 1990, Kauffman & Associates, Inc., (KAI) is a professional services firm that welcomes talented staff and strategic thinkers from diverse backgrounds and fields. Our dedicated team applies their special skills, knowledge and experience, delivering creative solutions that positively impact society.
With offices in Silver Spring, MD and Spokane, WA, KAI works closely with public and private-sector clients to tackle many of today’s leading social issues – including public health, education, and economic development. Join us today and be rewarded with a meaningful career challenge.
We offer competitive compensation and an excellent benefits program including medical, dental and life insurance, short- and long-term disability coverage, paid time-off and holidays, and matching 401(k) contributions.
The Director of Research and Evaluation (R&E) plans and conducts high quality and ethical research and reports those findings. Oversees program implementation of all KAI research and evaluation projects and assures a high standard of written products produced in relation to job functions as described below. The Director of Research and Evaluation provides leadership to build organizational capacity in research and evaluation services for a diverse clientele. They shape and further the strategic direction of the service line and in the tactical implementation of its programs and projects. The Director will work with the KAI President and the executive management team to set the direction for guiding evaluation projects, leading a process of continuous improvement that ensures quality and sustainability, and developing new business opportunities
- Act as principal partner to the KAI President in development and implementation of the major programs of the service line to ensure the quality of research and evaluation products and efficiency and productivity of staff;
- Oversee operation of the KAI’s R&E operations;
- Manage portfolio of projects in R&E service line;
- Oversee and lead research team in the execution of high-quality, multi-level, mixed-method research and evaluations in a variety of settings;
- Work with KAI executive management team to identify strategic directions;
- Develop new business opportunities by networking with current and potential clients, proposal development, writing and design;
- Perform personnel functions (i.e., interviewing, evaluating, supervising) within the department to maintain adequate staffing, enhancing productivity of personnel and achieving objectives;
- Approves unit policies and procedures and recommends changes as necessary;
- Train and coach staff on quality in research design, analysis, reporting and dissemination of findings;
- Cultivates a collegial and team-oriented work environment;
- Conducts 90-day and annual reviews of direct reports and approves their time sheets twice monthly;
- Plan design and implementation of research projects;
- Coordinate and oversee the development and implementation of programs and services;
- Apply culturally responsive and ethical research methodology;
- Apply principles of cultural and linguistic competence;
- Monitor research and evaluation projects to ensure that services comply with contractual obligations;
- Conduct applied research;
- Skillfully use software programs for analyzing quantitative and qualitative data;
- Provide verbal and written reports of research projects;
- Assist with areas of measurement (e.g., surveys, program evaluations, needs assessments, topic questionnaires);
- Assure quality of final written projects (e.g., proposals, final reports);
- Assists with corporate quality control of projects in organization;
- Acts as primary point of contact for clients and agency contacts for projects within service line.
- Ph.D. in one of the disciplines of the social sciences (e.g., psychology, sociology, anthropology, political science, etc.;
- At least 5 years research experience;
- Experience leading, conducting and managing research and evaluation projects that require mixed method qualitative and quantitative research designs and methodologies;
- Must be proficient and well organized at project management, including managing tasks, people, timelines, quality controls, and balancing workload;
- Demonstrated evidence of successful and creative project design, development and management;
- Experience in successful business development and proposal writing;
- Experience working directly with a variety of federal agencies;
- Publications in academic or professional journals or other peer reviewed professional writing;
- Demonstrated history of professionalism, teamwork, multi-cultural awareness;
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and oral communication skills.
Please submit a resume and cover letter summarizing your experience as it relates to this position and your desired salary range to firstname.lastname@example.org
KAI is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer.