Organization: Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Independent Evaluation Division 2, IED, Independent Evaluation Department
Closing Date: 1 March 2012 , 5:00 p.m. (1700 Manila Time, 0900 GMT)
Undertake evaluation studies, particularly of private sector and non-sovereign operations (both referred to hereafter as NSO, including loan, investment, and credit guarantee and related risks assessment) at project, country, and sector/thematic levels. Conduct evaluations of Asian Development Bank (ADB) policies and strategies for infrastructure development (through NSO and public-private partnership related operations) including their development impact. Draw lessons from evaluation studies and their implications for improving development effectiveness of ADB NSO. Disseminate evaluation findings and lessons to increase awareness and improve future strategies and operations, and their implementation for private sector development and ensuing development impact.
a. Independent Evaluation
- Lead in the conduct of evaluation studies, particularly of non-sovereign operations particularly for infrastructure development.
- Substantially contribute to the development, pilot testing and adoption of innovative methodologies to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of ADB’s policies and strategies, lending, investment, guarantee operations, and related knowledge based products.
- Prepare country/sector syntheses and brief/précis of evaluation findings that are judged to be useful for ADB operation so that ADB becomes more of a learning institution in terms of using evaluation findings to improve the design and reduce risks associated with future strategies, policies and operations and their development effectiveness.
b. Real-time Feedback to Operations
- Review and provide advice on particularly on NSO loan, investment and credit guarantee project design to ensure that lessons from evaluations are incorporated to improve the quality of new projects, design and monitoring framework follows established guidelines, proposed monitoring and evaluation systems are robust, project finance and economics is sound, and the likelihood of project sustainability is strong.
- Review and provide advice particularly on proposed NSO operational policies, procedures, and country strategy and operational programs of ADB in light of evaluation findings and development contexts.
c. Knowledge Management
- Foster knowledge sharing and disseminate evaluation findings and lessons to increase awareness and use of evaluation knowledge in ADB
- Lead in internal peer review process in the Independent Evaluation Department (IED) and demonstrate intellectual contribution in ADB activities.
- Contribute from an evaluation perspective to ADB wide initiatives such as Managing for Development Results and Strategy 2020 and related Results Framework (e.g., Results Framework, Development Effectiveness Report, Annual Report and the implementation of Paris Declaration), with particular attention to NSO.
d. Staff Supervision
- Take the role of team leader and supervise the work of team members.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Finance or Business Administration.
Relevant Experience And Other Requirements
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in (i) the processing, implementation, or evaluation of non-sovereign transactions in an international financial institution; or (ii) development studies, research or evaluation.
- At least 5 years of investment and industry experience, and a proven track record in structuring and closing transactions.
- Knowledge of policy and regulatory issues in at least one infrastructure sector.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in several developing countries and international development institutions.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
Immediate Reporting Relationships / Other Information
– Supervisor: Director, IED2
– The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
– Administrative Staff
– National Staff
Women are encouraged to apply.