Organization: Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Independent Evaluation Division 2, IED, Independent Evaluation Department
Closing Date: 1 March 2012 , 5:00 p.m. (1700 Manila Time, 0900 GMT)
Undertake complex evaluation studies, particularly at region, country, and sector levels, with focus on assessment of strategies and macroeconomic performance, and other higher level thematic/ corporate evaluations. Draw lessons from evaluation studies and their implications for improving development effectiveness of ADB operations, and disseminate findings and lessons to increase awareness and use of knowledge in ADB and its developing member countries (DMCs). Provide operational support to ensure lessons from evaluations are incorporated in country strategy, sector strategy and policy formulation, and the designs of loan-financed and grant-funded projects and technical assistance (TA), and improve the quality of projects. Work within general policies, principles and goals, and working directly with clients.
a. Independent Evaluation
- Lead in the conduct of evaluation studies (which include performance evaluation of completed ADB-financed TAs and loans, special evaluation studies on selected themes and policies, and country and sector assistance evaluations) with particular emphasis on assessing strategic positioning and macroeconomic performance.
- Substantially contribute to the development, pilot testing and adoption of innovative methodologies to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of ADB’s policies and strategies, lending operations and knowledge based products.
- Prepare country and sector syntheses of evaluation findings that are judged to be useful by ADB staff on the operational side of ADB so that ADB becomes more of a learning organization in terms of using evaluation findings to improve the design and reduce risks associated with future strategies, policies and operations.
b. Real-time Feedback to Operations
- Review and provide advice on loan, grant, and TA project design to ensure that lessons from evaluations are incorporated to improve the quality of new projects, design and monitoring framework follows established guidelines, proposed monitoring and evaluation systems are robust, project economics is sound, and the likelihood of project sustainability is strong.
- Review and provide advice on proposed operational policies, procedures, and country strategy and operational programs of ADB in light of evaluation findings and development contexts.
c. Capacity Building
- Contribute to the development, processing and administration of DMC evaluation capacity building TA projects to strengthen project performance management and evaluation capacity possibly with moderate to high levels of risk and complexity and working jointly with other ADB colleagues and DMC government officials.
- Develop strategies and programs to strengthen the self evaluation capacity of ADB departments.
d. Knowledge Management
- Foster knowledge sharing and disseminate evaluation findings and lessons to increase awareness and use of evaluation knowledge in ADB.
- Undertake internal peer review process in relevant areas of specialization in the Independent Evaluation Department (IED), and demonstrate intellectual contribution in ADB activities.
- Contribute from an evaluation perspective to ADB wide initiatives such as Managing for Development Results and the Reform Agenda (e.g., Results Framework, Development Effectiveness Report, Annual Report and the implementation of Paris Declaration).
e. Staff Supervision
- Take the role of team leader and supervise the work of team members.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Master’s degree or higher, in Economics
Relevant Experience And Other Requirements
– Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
– At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in (i) development assistance operations in developing countries (preferably related policy dialogue); or (ii) development studies, research or evaluation.
– At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in development projects (e.g., transport) including the processing, implementation, and evaluation of related sovereign and non-sovereign operations.
– Experience in appliying sound Economics knowledge to development issues
– Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
– International experience working in several developing countries and international development institutions.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
Immediate Reporting Relationships / Other Information
– Supervisor: Director, IED2
– The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
– Administrative Staff
– National Staff
Women are encouraged to apply.