Organization: Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Independent Evaluation Division 1, IED, Independent Evaluation Department
Closing Date: 1 March 2012 , 5:00 p.m. (1700 Manila Time, 0900 GMT)
Lead and oversee the conduct of country/regional assistance program evaluations and complex evaluation studies particularly in social sectors, environment or public sector management, and evaluations of ADB policies, strategies, and ADB’s sector/subsector assistance programs. Draw lessons from evaluation studies and their implications for improving development effectiveness of ADB operations. Provide intellectual leadership in evaluation approach and methodology development and applications. Disseminate evaluation findings and promote learning from evaluations in ADB and developing member countries (DMCs). Oversee and provide operational support to ensure lessons from evaluations are incorporated in country strategy, sector strategy and policy formulation, and project/program design formulation, with the objective to improve the quality of these strategy, policy, project/program formulation and designs. Work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods.
a. Independent Evaluation
– Oversee the conduct of complex evaluation studies as assigned (country, sector, thematic, policy and strategy evaluations)
– Oversee and contribute substantially in the development, pilot testing and adoption of innovative evaluation approach and methodologies to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of ADB’s policies and strategies, lending operations and knowledge based products, as well as to assess the effectiveness of evaluation recommendations.
– Oversee/undertake the preparation of country and sector syntheses of evaluation findings that are judged to be useful by ADB staff to promote learning from evaluations in ADB, particularly in terms of using evaluation findings to improve the design; and to recognize, reduce and mitigate risks associated with future strategies, policies and operations.
b. Real Time Feedback to Operations
– Review and provide advice on project/program design (loan, grant, technical assistance instruments) to ensure that lessons from evaluations are incorporated to improve the quality of new projects/programs, design and monitoring framework follows established guidelines, proposed monitoring and evaluation systems are robust, project economics is sound, and the likelihood of project sustainability is strong.
– Review and provide advice on proposed ADB’s operational policies, procedures, country strategy, and operational programs in light of evaluation findings and development contexts.
c. Capacity Building
– Oversee and/or contribute to the development, processing and administration of DMC evaluation capacity building TA projects to strengthen project performance management and evaluation capacity, with moderate to high levels of risk and complexity, and work jointly with other ADB colleagues, DMC government officials, and associated partners/stakeholders.
– Contribute to the development of strategies and programs to strengthen the self evaluation capacity of ADB departments through the validation process of project completion reports (PCR) and training on PCR preparation.
d. Knowledge Management
– Foster knowledge sharing and disseminate evaluation findings and lessons to increase awareness and use of evaluation knowledge in ADB
– Lead in internal peer review process and demonstrate intellectual leadership in quality assurance initiatives.
– Contribute from an evaluation perspective to ADB wide initiatives such as Managing for Development Results (MfDR) and the Reform Agenda.
e. Staff Supervision
– Create and lead multi-disciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
– Supervise the performance of teams and individuals, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
– Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their ongoing learning and development
Postgraduate degree (at least a Master’s degree) in Development Economics, or alternatively in Social Sciences, Public Administration, or related fields.
Relevant Experience And Other Requirements
– Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
– At least 12 years of relevant professional experience, and related policy dialogue in developing countries, including DMCs of ADB.
– Experience in monitoring and evaluation including conducting impact evaluations.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience of working in several countries.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
Immediate Reporting Relationships / Other Information
– Supervisor: Director, IED1
– The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
– Administrative Staff
– National Staff
Women are encouraged to apply.