Vacancy No: E-VN-2012-000179
Duty Station: Kabul
Contract Type: Temp/Short-term Staff
Application Close: 29-Feb-12
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the direct supervision of Chief Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation and close guidance of the Deputy Representative and in close coordination with chief of Field Coordination, provide technical support to the office to strengthen M&E framework and systems for the country programme. This could include review and improvement of the processes, systems and tools for data collection, storage, analysis, use and dissemination of data for the country program and annual management Plan, as well as monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the commitments to UN joint programming, including emergencies and humanitarian interventions.
Key Expected Results
1. Review the current strategies, process/system of data collection, storage, analysis, use and dissemination, make recommendations for improvement. This will include systems set up to measure country programme results as well as our support to strengthen capacity of the monitoring systems of health, education and child protection programmes of the Government.
2. Review the adequacy of process/tools used by senior management to provide oversight to implementation of management priorities as specified in the Annual Management Plan.
3. Review capacity of the office to perform evaluation function and suggest ways to improve.
4. Specifically review and revise the monitoring tools for monitoring at field level by field offices and programme sections, joint monitoring by sections to improve collaboration and synergy, monitoring of end use supplies.
5. Review options of monitoring in high risk environment and propose a system that is coherent with the analytical work of the security teams.
6. Work closely with ICT team up to support the development of IT enabled solutions for programme implementation monitoring and supply monitoring (e.g. Rapid SMS, Arc GIS etc.)
7. Provide technical support in the implementation of the recommendations.
8. Review the adequacy of the Results Matrix of the UN Framework, CAP and data collection systems to report to UNCT and ensure coherence with the M and E framework of the Country Programme.
9. Provide recommendations to streamline reporting process to the office of the DSRSG /RC/HC.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
– Highly experienced (10 years) in M&E and has knowledge of current tools of monitoring and evaluation.
– Ability to work independently but in collaboration with a variety of stakeholders
– Technically sound in drafting and editing reports. Excellent communication and writing skills in English.
– Adaptability and flexibility, client orientation, confidentiality, initiative, concern for accuracy and quality
– Ability to work with data management softwares
– Experience of similar work in other countries, especially in low capacity countries is highly desirable
Location: The position is based in Kabul, Afghanistan with occasional travel to provinces and districts .
Timeframe: 364 days
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation