Vacancy No: E-VN-2012-000162
Duty Station: New York, United States of America
Region: NY HQ
Country: United States of America
Contract type: Long-term Staff (FT)
Application Close: 15-Feb-12
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the overall direction of the Senior Education Advisor, you will be responsible for the coordination, development, planning, and management of monitoring and tracking activities designed to produce evidence and influence policy towards achievement of the equity-based, education-related MDGs.
Key Expected Results
1. Establishment and Maintenance of M&E System
Establish and maintain an education data and information system to support Education Section accountabilities, tracking of organizational progress on the MTSP and its contribution to the achievement of MDGs, and highlighting key sector and related cross-sectoral issues and achievement of the equity goals.
Strengthened Education Section tracking systems and processes to improve management of programmes, projects and supporting activities and to ensure optimum use of funds and other resources
2. Collection and analysis of data
Collect and analyze education data to ensure Section accountabilities are met
(i) Annual work plan activities and education programming monitored periodically to track whether activities are completed on schedule and objectives are being met
(ii) Requirements of donors to determine whether resources are being used effectively, efficiently and for agreed upon objectives met.
3. Tracking of equity goals
Supporting the Education Section in assessing trends and outcomes relating to achieving equity goals (e.g. data bank of equity indicators, Equity Tracker, etc.)
Systematic provision of data and information that facilitates Education Section and extended Education Team learning from experience to improve the relevance, methods and outcomes of education programmes.
4. Monitoring frameworks and approaches
Develop and/or introduce appropriate approaches, data collection methodologies, monitoring methods and frameworks
Strengthened capacity of the education section to monitor education programming with specific reference to the equity agenda and SRAs
5. Review of relevant education reports
Draft relevant sections of statutory reports (annual reports, donor reports, management, etc.) and publications; and verify accuracy, timeliness and appropriateness of education in overall reports.
Provide information to enhance advocacy for policies, programmes and resources that improve education participation and outcomes women and children.
6. Section focal point on M&E
Serve as focal point for the section’s interaction with the PDDO, other PD Sections, Evaluation Office, Divisions of Policy and Planning (DPP) the Statistics and Monitoring Section and other sections/divisions
Section works synergistically with other Divisions/sections to ensure that within UNICEF we monitor and track programmes efficiently and provide relevant knowledge and evidence to support achievement of the education and equity goals.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced University Degree in Education, Social Sciences or equivalent.
- Training or accreditation in monitoring and evaluation is preferred.*
- Eight years of experience in monitoring and evaluation of Education programs.
- Experience in data analysis and dissemination, and in translation of evaluations into policy.
- Expertise and experience in Education programme management is a definite asset.
- At least 5 publications in peer-reviewed publications in the field of monitoring and evaluation in relevant Education topics required.
- Knowledge of academic institutions, international Education organizations and partners is a definite asset.
- Fluency in English and another UN language.
*A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
- urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
- Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.