Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty station: Italy, Rome
Deadline for applications: 14 February 2012
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are currently seeking to fill the position of Senior Programme Monitoring Specialist, who would be Chief at the P5 level of the Monitoring unit in our headquarters in Rome, Italy.
WFP is committed to improving performance through the implementation of a corporate Monitoring and Self-Evaluation strategy. There is a widely affirmed need to improve the measurement of results at the output and outcome levels, and the systematic use of these measurements in corporate management and oversight, and in corporate reporting for accountability. This wide ranging strategy is intended to complete the corporate results measurement system, including both a global data system and global standards for data collection that are affordable and effective.
The Chief, Monitoring unit takes on responsibility for specific centrally-managed tasks and oversees the strategy’s implementation at country, regional and HQ levels, while also providing regular M&E services within the Programme Division
Under the supervision of the Director of the Programme Division, and the Deputy Director, the Chief will be the lead technical expert on monitoring and will be responsible for:
Overseeing and supporting the implementation of the approved strategy, including:
- Detailed implementation planning including budgets;
- Manage unit staff, supporting recruitment where needed;
- Initiate, develop, and support related necessary internal relationships, at HQ, regional bureau, and country office levels;
- Initiate, develop, and support necessary external technical relationships, especially related UN agencies, select national governments, and implementing partners as relevant;
- Identify, adapt, and incorporate major lessons learned and best practices in M&E already identified by other global organizations, especially UN agencies already working directly with national governments in designing, building, strengthening national results measurement and reporting systems, and strengthening related international linkages;
- Refinement and global implementation of a corporate data management and reporting system that will support the collection, aggregation, analysis, and reporting of output and outcome level results at local, project, national, regional, and global levels;
- Active participation in and support for fundraising in relation to M&E activities
- The following specific outputs are expected: Standardization of WFP M&E processes; Develop/roll out corporate data management (IT) system; Dedicated investment and support for select/strategic country offices; A training and capacity building programme.
Provide ongoing headquarters required services for the programme division, including:
- Programme Review Committee;
- Annual Standard Projects Reporting and Annual Performance Report;
- Programme Guidance Manual, update and maintenance;
- Participation in field support and missions, time permitting.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Advanced university degree or university degree with experience and advanced training/courses in Social Sciences, Finance, Business Administration, Management or similar.
- At least eleven years (4 of which international) of professional postgraduate experience in result based management. Demonstrated experience in results measurement systems, including design of global data management, aggregation and reporting systems, design of national M&E systems. Evidence of measurement of results in cash and voucher programmes. Leadership responsibilities in monitoring and evaluation in a global organization. Experience in integrating evaluation principles and tools into mainstream management disciplines. Experience in the design and implementing of training and capacity development programmes in global agencies and related national government counterparts including effective reporting at project, national, regional, and global levels, and effectively integrated linkages.
- Knowledge of New Tools and Best Practices: Demonstrated knowledge and leading edge experience in formulating, identifying, and applying new tools and best practices in a global organization; Demonstrated knowledge of advance results based management, at the conceptual and applied levels, appropriate for measuring outputs and outcomes at implementation level, and capable of suitable aggregation to national, regional, and global levels for management oversight/control and reporting/accountability purposes;
- WFP’s core competencies for professionals include action management, communication skills, teamwork and high standards of ethics and values.
- Proficiency (level C) in English and French is required. Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, and/or Italian is an advantage.
Websites to visit before applying:
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Where we work” and “Our work” to learn more about WFP’s operations
http://icsc.un.org Click on: Quick Links > Salary Scales > by date
http://www.unstaffmobility.org Learn more about countries where the UN operates
Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/12-0012401 Step 1: Create your online CV. Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application. NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are encouraged to apply