Location : Bucharest
Application Deadline : 31-Jan-12
Type of Contract : Other
Post Level : Other
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 31-Jan-2012
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), acting as an implementing agency of the Global Environment Facility (GEF), is providing assistance to the Romanian Ministry of Environment and Forests and the National Forests Administration ROMSILVA in implementation of the GEF Medium Size Project (MSP) “Improving the financial sustainability of the Carpathian System of Protected Area”.
The objective is to secure the financial sustainability of Romania’s Carpathian Network of Protected Areas (CNPA) as a model for replication to the entire Carpathian Network of Protected Areas. With adequate financial resources the Romanian Carpathian Pas and the CNPAs will be on path to greater financial sustainability. This objective will be realized through two components:
- Strengthening the supportive legislative framework and Sustainable Protected Areas Financing Strategy;
- Strengthening the institutional and individual capacities of management authorities and other local stakeholders to develop and implement sustainable financing of protected areas.
The Mid Term Evaluation is initiated by the UNDP Romania as the Implementation Agency for this project and it aims at providing managers (National Forest Administration ROMSILVA-Implementing Partner, UNDP and the GEF Secretariat) with strategy and policy options for more effectively and efficiently achieving the project’s outputs and outcomes. It also provides the basis for learning and accountability for managers and stakeholders.
The objective of this Mid Term Evaluation is to measure the up-to-date effectiveness and efficiency of project activities in relation to the stated objective, and to produce possible recommendations on how to improve the management of the project until its completion in 2014.
Link to Terms of Reference:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the evaluation mission;
- Design the detailed evaluation scope and methodology (including the methods for data collection and analysis);
- Assist in drafting terms of reference of the national consultant(s);
- Decide the division of labor within the evaluation team;
- Conduct an analysis of the outcome, outputs and partnership strategy (as per the scope of the evaluation described above);
- Draft related parts of the evaluation report;
- Finalize the whole evaluation report.
- The International Evaluation Consultant must have competence in Adaptive Management, as applied to capacity building projects;
- It is desirable that the International Evaluation Consultant has expertise in the evaluation of similar projects in the Central and Eastern Europe and CIS region;
- The International Evaluation Consultant must have demonstrable analytical skills;
- It is desirable that the International Evaluation Consultant would have project evaluation experiences within United Nations system;
- It is desirable that the International Evaluation Consultant have Knowledge/understanding of Romanian/EU conservation policies and legislation, forestry management policies and institutional system, protected areas system, additional knowledge on NGO/local community would be an asset;
- The International Evaluation Consultant must have demonstrated expertise in areas of international projects’ evaluation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Natural Resource Management, Environmental Economics and Policy or other related areas;
- Postgraduate degree(s) will be an advantage.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.